Monday, November 21, 2011

Tuesday, 22 November

In the background to the building of our new priory is the hot political issue of Coal Seam Gas Mining in the Campbelltown Scenic Hills.  A number of years ago I was asked by our Carmelite community to be their representative in regard to local political issues that directly affect us.

This has been an interesting involvement.  We have formed the Scenic Hills Association and battled various attempts to industrialise our rural part of the Sydney Metropolitan Area.  In the process I have met up with many politicians, we have had our photos in the papers and been on TV. I even addressed a rally in Martin Place (still on Youtube).   Last weekend I attended the Fishers Ghost Festival in Campbelltown to get signatures for our SHA petition against CSM in our environmentally protected area.  I met Laurie Ferguson, our very supportive member of Federal Parliament, for the first time.  He surprised me by asking where in Ireland my Burke ancestors came.  Mine came from Clare his from Galway.

On Tuesday of last week, along with Jacqui Kirkby, the power and brains behind the SHA, I met with Cr Anoulack Chanthivong, the Mayor of Campbelltown, and Paul Tosi the City General Manager to discuss the issues facing us and how best we might respond.  Paul Tosi remarked that with all the development in South West Sydney our area will be the only remaining island of green, rural landscape.  This environment is vitally important for us and for those who come to us on retreat.

Yesterday we had a meeting of many of the friars from St Ives and her along with lay advisers, Geoff Stumbles,  Michael Gray, and Lorraine Murphy and our usual facilitator Br Graham Neist.  We reviewed our options in regard to the post priory phase of our building programme and some of the immediate decisions that need to be made regarding our retreat programme for next year.

Meanwhile things were happening on site.  In fact there was a major flurry of activity which caused a traffic jam.  This is not a usual occurrence in these parts.  The electricity utility people came to disconnect the old power lines and system and connect the new system for the whole complex.  We were without power for an hour and a half.  In the middle of this a shipment of Timbercrete blocks was brought from Kyabram by "Macka" McCluskie.

Traffic jam as electricity wires disconnected
Traffic jam gets worse as Matthew unloads the blocks
In the above photo you can see the old wires dangled over some seats on the balcony outside the retreatants dining room.  Below you can see the last lines attached to the retreat house.  I am very happy these wires have gone.  I could never entirely relax with the high voltage power lines hanging just a few feet above my head.
The last wires hang loose
The foyer is ready to get a roof
 Meanwhile back at the site the steel frame of the building and roof has been going ahead for stage one of the building.  The roof should soon begin to be laid.

Framework
If you click on this photo you can see where the gutters will be attached.  After I took this photo yesterday I walked back to our meeting and almost tripped over a bit of steel on the ground.  I was surprised and taken aback and let out an expletive.  One of the workers, Gordon who is a bible believing Christian and who calls me Reverend was nearby.  He calls me Reverend as he won't call me "Father" or indeed anything else.  I was embarrassed that Gordon would hear my cry, but his response was to shout: "Hey Reverend, I didn't know you spoke human".  Indeed.  Thanks Gordon and blessings on you.

No comments:

Post a Comment